My Top 5 Books of 2013

My top five books of 2013 were not merely chosen for the rating I gave them, but for the impact the book made on me.

1.  The Secretary:  A Journey with Hillary Clinton from Beirut to the Heart of American Power By Kim Ghattas

This book took me a really long time to finish and at one point I put it down for awhile.  The book opened my eyes to the intricacies of world powers and the job of Secretary of State.  I came away from it wanting to find out more about the middle east conflict as I am woefully ignorant!

2.  The Diviners By Libba Bray

I love chunky books and I especially love books that take place in New York City in the early 1900s.   I have never been to New York City but through this book I got to see the city as it was in the past!

3.  Live Through This By Mindi Scott

This was a great drama about a girl living with a deep dark secret that is slowly tearing her apart.

4.  Howards End is on the Landing:  A Year of Reading from Home By Susan Hill

This book was a really enjoyable book that any reader can relate to.  I loved her stories of how each of the books in her collection impacted her.  I felt like I was sitting there with her as she reminisced about her books.

5.  The Girl Who Fell From the Sky By Heidi W. Durrow

I couldn't stop thinking about this book after I read it.  The main character Rachel is the daughter of a danish mother and black father who is a GI.  After a family tragedy, she goes to live with her black grandmother in a mainly black community, and is completely out of her element.