Revolution - Jennifer Donnelly I don’t know why it took me so long to read this book because I absolutely loved it! I don’t normally read historical fiction, but was really drawn into this one. I loved how the book was broken up into three parts: Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven, and contained a quote taken from each of Dante’s poems. It seemed so fitting since it follows Andi’s journey as she deals with the death of her brother. I also loved the musical element in this story, it reminded me a lot of the book If I Stay by Gayle Forman, which I also loved. As the story unfolds, the city comes alive, past and present. Especially the catacombs which seemed to play a big part in the story. I found it very intriguing as it was the perfect setting for Purgatory.

For some reason, as I read this book, I found myself thinking a lot of the movie Marie Antoinette played by Kirsten Dunst, because it was really good at showing the excess in which they lived. It was a good visual frame of reference as I read this book. The French Revolution becomes very real for Andi as she reads the diary of young Alexandrine who was companion to the young Prince Louis-Charles. Andi and Alexandrine’s story parallel each other as they each deal with their guilt over what they perceive as their role in the tragic events of their time. I absolutely loved each girl’s story and could not wait to find out what happened next.